Friday 5 July 2013

second thread order is in!

Neil called from the NSCAD store, my second order of thread is in, so Monday I can wind the last of my shirt warp and might even have enough to start weaving on that one.  300$ is a little tight right now, but the project is so cool that I will see what I can do.

This shirt warp is in a blue and white check from the MFA in Boston
http://zoom.mfa.org/fif=sc5/sc54616.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=960&cvt=jpeg
Isn't it pretty?  It looks beautiful on the winding mill, I can't wait to see it weave up.

It's in 2/16 threads, so fairly fine thread.  I am going to be keeping track of how much it costs me to weave it for materials, how much it costs in hours of weaving, and then how much in hand stitching the shirt.  I am fairly quick in making up shirts at this point, so I think I would be comparable to an 18thC seamstress.  It will be interesting to see how these shirts compare to the costs of shirts in period.

It will also be interesting to see how long it takes Pierre to wear one out...

No comments:

Post a Comment