Sunday 13 December 2015

Dane's favourite christmas treat

My grandmother Mackie used to make at least two pans of these at Christmas.  I would be too, if Dane and I were going to be home, as these were his favourites.

Watkin's Walnut (tea squares)

Lower crust:
3/4 cup butter, creamed
1/3 cup sugar
2 egg yolks well beaten
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla

Blend all well and press into a 9x9 pan.  Bake at 350F 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned

Upper crust:
2 eggs beaten
2 Tlbs flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup shredded coconut (moistened with a little milk)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all together and spread over partly baked crust.  Bake a further 20 minutes. Cool. Ice with almond buttercream.

Because Dane and I will be on opposite sides of the globe this year, I may have to wait until he and his family come for a visit in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment