Tuesday 14 May 2019

Life in the shoe

Pierre reminded me last night that it's been a while since I have updated this-here platform. I've been bad at Instagram too. I will try to be better in the future.
But now, I can take photos again, because my phone's camera has been dumped and there is space to take photos now. So that might be the kick in the arse I need, but who knows.

Anyhoo! Where were we? Oh, yes, Garth's stockings got finished, finally...and sent...look at that sexy leg!

Only a few years sitting on the to-do pile...I was working on them, repeatedly, knitting, then frogging back. I had wanted to give him ribbed hose, but couldn't seem to get the math and the back seam the way I wanted them to look. So I finally just knit them up plain, and will work on the ribbed style later when I have more of a brain.

Brian from upstate New York is now also dressed, finally...I had made his coat last summer, but didn't have the time then to do a full suit. His other tailor fell through on the job, so he sent me some fabric this Spring, and I got him suited up in a waistcoat and breeches as well.
He's a happier customer now that he can wear his own clothes. Wearing loaner gear can be tiresome, but doubly so when they are far too large for you. Now that he has clothes for this season, he is working on saving up for a proper cocked hat. We will have to track down his wool from the other tailor eventually, and get his woolen small clothes made up as well.

We have been travelling a bit this Spring too, first to the BAR School of Instruction in New Jersey. A total blast, a well run conference dealing with subjects near and dear to the living historian's heart. I hope to make this an annual trip now. It was by-far, the most relevant conference we have attended. Well done Paul and Sarah Elizabeth and the gang!
Phil Dunning and Sarah Elizabeth serving tea.

The second weekend of travelling, we were at Ticonderoga for opening weekend. I worked in the tailor shop, helping to make kit for this season's interpretation staff. Pierre worked on construction projects and came home with maybe only the second sunburn I have seen him with...the first one was due to mowing the lawn with no shirt on in early May when we were first dating. Had scads of fun though, and will be heading back next weekend for Memorial day weekend.
Pierre mange' a cookie as he makes sunday morning coffee.
Right now, I am working on some modern clothes for important family functions coming up in the next couple of weeks. Not for us, but for family members. A black wool men's suit in the style of the Matrix with some secret punk details, and a prom dress for one of our nieces who is graduating this June. Then it will be back to all things Historical!!! As I have heard back from the first museum and will begin my fieldwork on the artifacts in June. I also have a to-do list that is pleasantly growing, thanks to all of you kind folks who are following my work and are hiring me. Making bank payments is fun! Especially after being unemployed for so long.

Keep those contracts coming!
a bit of fly


No comments:

Post a Comment