Thursday 23 August 2018

A close reading of Don Hagist's 'Wives, Slaves, and Servant Girls: A study in sock colours on a blustery day



I decided to sit and do a quick afternoon research project the other day. It was a blustery day, and I didn't really feel like sitting in the studio as I was nursing a headache.

This is what I found: the number one colour after white (or un-described colour), is blue, 29 times. Dark, Black, Brown stockings were mentioned 6 times. Clocked with a different colour, 5 times, and the clock contrast ranged from white with blue clock, blue with white clock, blue with red clock. Clouded stockings appeared twice. Grey, once. Re-knit, or different coloured feet to stocking appeared five times. Ribbed stockings, five times.

Interesting cross section of lower ranks society, but leaning towards the female side of things. I did note both the sex of the person in the ad, as well as ethnicity if it was stated. There was a good smattering of men alongside the women mentioned, despite the female leaning of the title of the book. I doubt though, we would see much of a difference in an equal m/f ratio. I'm cool with sticking to this colour palette. The current pair of stockings on my needles is natural sheep white. I have more of this yarn, and an even whiter yarn. I also have some light blue on the way. Deep in the ready use yarn stash bucket I have some mustard coloured, that I fell in love with, but I can dye that to a more brown colour if need be.


And that's not even touching the wool dye sample bin I have far too much of. Though the sample bin may become a bed rug this Fall if I can get time on a loom at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment