Saturday 30 November 2019

Regency on a stoestring, but also the historical stash busting challenge...

The last week or so, I have been working on Pierre's clothes for the dance at Red Hook in February. From the stash, I pulled out a piece of navy wool twill that the tag said I paid 5.65$/metre for. I remember buying it, humming over it, thinking I didn't need any more fabric, but my friend Jenny telling me I couldn't go wrong with having a good navy wool in my stash...most men like wearing navy.
At that price too...

So I cut new high waisted trousers for Pierre and got those made up. (I still have a good chunk of it left)
The only construction shot I seem to have taken...
Then I went to the tickle trunk of old garb pieces and pulled out a regency era waistcoat that Garth left for me to do something with. I have always been in love with the cloth, it is a fabulous rust coloured wool with a blue pinstripe. The waistcoat construction left quite a bit to be desired though. The person who stitched it didn't do a bad job, per se, but didn't understand the fine points of historical sewing or tailoring. So, I set to it with a seam ripper and carefully unpicked every last bit of it.
And yes, I should have probably taken a before shot, but I've been bad at that...
The collar was easy, remove the iron on interfacing, re-block the wool with the iron, find a piece of linen from the scrap box big enough for a collar, find a piece of canvas from same scrap box to cut same, re-build collar properly. The guts literally came from the scrap box, not from new cloth.
Next up, I tackled the pockets. The original pocket bag was put in more like a facing around an opening and would never lay flat, the welt itself was top stitched in place by machine. Thankfully the pocket opening wasn't cut too big for the welt though, so once everything was unpicked and re-blocked, the pocket went back together quite easily using the correct method. The welt itself is a bit wonky, but I'm looking at it now as having more heritage. The new pocket bags also came from the scrap box, still no new cloth cut.

Once the pockets were re-built, I interlined the waistcoats fronts with a small leftover piece of red cotton broadcloth as my canvas. I didn't need the qualities of hair canvas for this, since I wouldn't be rolling a lapel or anything, I just needed a good bit of cloth to support the wool. Since I rarely prewash my fabrics, the broadcloth still has its sizing, so was nice and crisp. And there was 'just enough' for a couple of waistcoat fronts.

The lining and backs came from new cut cloth, my dwindling stock of lining linen. Plain, unbleached, and unwashed, so nice and crisp. This waistcoat will never see a laundry tub, so there's absolutely no need to launder any of the fabrics for shrinkage. Tailored garments should never be washed...brushed, hung to air, if absolutely need be, a trip to the dry cleaner, but only as last resort. 

Once the waistcoat was back to waistcoat form, I needed buttons. This was the only piece left to create self covered buttons with, and I did not want to order metal buttons...cloth covered may be a pain in the hands, but honestly, they were the common dog of buttons in the era, so I suck it up and cover buttons.
This is the little circles cut for button covering, the button molds are bone gaiter buttons from my stash (yes, I have a metric tonne of gaiter buttons, my grandfather kept all the dead buttons, just in case), and ALL THAT'S LEFT OF THE WOOL! Seriously, that's really all the remains of the old waistcoat. I had to cut the buttonhole placket off as the original buttonholes were put in vertical instead of horizontal. The wool for the buttons came from what remained of that off-cut piece. 

Since I didn't even want to run to the fabric store for thread this week, I used another trick from the bag and blended two thread colours to give me a 'close enough' colour for the new buttonholes.
The buttonhole was whipped around closely with a brown sewing thread. Then, I worked the buttonhole stitch in a dark red twist. The two colours together work fairly well on the rust coloured wool.
Last weekend, while on a drop off to the second hand shop, I had the thought of going in and seeing what sort of hat I could find to re-work into something for this suit. I came out with a gnarly old porkpie that was destined for the tip, for sure, due to it being in such rough shape. When we got home, I threw it in a hot wash with some soap, not really minding if it would felt up any...because seriously, it was in bad shape, and I paid so little for it. Once washed, it was pulled on to a hat block I made years ago from Styrofoam and left to dry. Once dry, it got a couple sprays of shellac and set to dry again before finishing.
It was finished with a length of green twill tape, likely from my days at the Citadel, like close to 20 years ago, and a small mother of pearl buckle from the stash, possibly from the 1940s, but a great colour. The nappy spot on the side of the hat are actual holes. Pierre wants to keep them, even though I could needle felt some more wool in to repair them. The lining came from the scrap bin again, and is pieced...
I marked the circle piece with his name in black ink, just 'cause.


Pierre's coat will come soon, made from cloth from the stash again, but in yet another wool...so no pieces will match at all. He will be a tecnicolour man of the lower sorts. We are likely to be in the kitchen, and would be of the lower sort anyway. I will take photos of the finished outfit when it's all said and done...

But first, our dance master needs clothes, so I am on to that.




No comments:

Post a Comment