Monday 3 June 2013

one door is closed, but another opens

Got the news late friday evening that I was accepted for the summer residency at the Nova Scotia Centre for Craft and Design.  No, it's not a paid residency, in fact I have to pay to work there.  But it means a studio for the summer, with a loom and sewing table and a space outside of teh house to dedicate to my own art practice.

I start June 28th.

My hope is to complete some weaving projects for 18thC reenacting.  First up is weaving narrow tape in linen so that I can reseat out chairs.  They are done with woven twine at the moment, and are in very bad shape.  I also hope to weave up some kitchen linens in the natural.  Then it's on to a tablecloth and finally a length of yardage for a check'd shirt for Pierre and a work apron for me.  In my copious amounts of spare time, I also have a gown to finish for mum and a late century suit to make for Pierre.  Then we will each have three complete outfits for 18thC reenacting.

In other projects, I also have my ongoing embroidery project which I am planning to wear to graduation next spring.  I'll work on that on the weekends and in the Fall.  In the Fall I also want to make an art coat for a friend of mine who has been far too patient with my timeline.  I will be at NSCAD University in the Fall for classes at the very least, possibly more, so I will work on that then.

Right now I am looking forward to the end of my spring classes and writing for a bit.  I am brain tired.  I am back with my advisor though and am working on thesis related stuff, so the writing is fun at least.  I am just tired and need a summer off to just make art.  Classes end June 21st.

So I am very happy now, knowing I didn't get hired on at the museum, because I would have tried to do both, I am sure.

One door closes, another opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment